Information We Obtain
We may obtain certain personal information about you as described in this section. When you apply to join the Rise Program, we obtain certain information about you, including:
- information about your academic progress, goals, plans and specialties;
- contact information, such as name, email and postal address, and phone number;
- education details and test or evaluation results (including academic transcripts, standardized test results and degrees), employment history, study interests, ---skills, aptitudes, awards, achievements and extra-curricular interests;
- personal statements or essays and writing samples;
- audio transcripts of interviews and other communications;
- identification documents, such as passport, driver’s license, and certificate of legal permanent residency;
- photographs and videos;
- demographic and socioeconomic data, such as gender, date of birth, birthplace, nationality, residency timeline, language, type of education, and family details (e.g. nationality of your parents/guardians, educational and employment background of your parents/guardians, income and home ownership information);
- race, ethnicity and religion if we need such information for diversity purposes;
- health or disability information so we can offer you reasonable accommodations;
- peer comments and reviews;
- information provided by your references and nominators (and information about those individuals, such as their contact information);
- information about you in your public social media profiles (e.g. Facebook) or other public domain sources (e.g. news media, profiles, publications and research);
- information you provide during interviews, tests or assignments;
- evaluations, observations and inferences we derive from the information we obtain about you;
- and other personal information you provide to us in connection with your application or nomination, such as through emails or phone conversations.
If you nominate someone for membership in our program through our Referral Program, we obtain certain contact information about both you and your nominee, such as name and email address. We also may offer you a reward if your nominee applies through your referral and is selected to receive a Rise benefit or award, in which case we will request additional information from you as necessary to provide you the reward.
If you are selected to receive a Rise benefit or reward, we also may obtain the information described above in connection with our ongoing relationship with you. In addition, as a recipient of a Rise benefit or reward, we obtain other information about you, including:
- information about your academic progress, goals, plans and specialties;
- career history and professional activities and achievements;
- login details used to access your online Rise account;
- details about your participation in community activities, including volunteer work, activism, and donations to special causes or interests;
- information about research grants, scholarships, and fellowships;
- relationships with other relevant organizations and initiatives, such as foundations, trusts, and charities;
- financial assistance or funding information, including financial needs, bank account details and payment history;
- information we obtain in connection with --mentorship and coaching opportunities;
- feedback you provide (e.g. survey responses);
- physical and mental health information you provide, including medical conditions, so we can make reasonable accommodations for and support your wellbeing;
- records of your interactions with Rise, such as attendance at meetings and events, fundraising and volunteer work, and trainings;
- your communication preferences;
- records of your communications with Rise (e.g. emails, letters, and notes of meetings or conversations); and
- any other information you choose to submit to us (e.g. through the Rise Services).
Information We Obtain By Automated Means
When you interact with the Rise Services, we may obtain certain information by automated means, such as cookies, web server logs, web beacons, and other technologies. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server.
We may use these automated technologies on the Rise Services to collect information about your equipment, browsing actions, and usage patterns. The information we obtain in this manner may include your device IP address, identifiers associated with your devices, types of devices connected to the Rise Services, web browser characteristics, device characteristics, language preferences, referring/exit pages, clickstream data, and dates and times of interactions with the Rise Services. These technologies help us (1) remember your information so you do not have to re-enter it; (2) track and understand how you use and interact with the Rise Services; (3) tailor the Rise Services around your preferences; (4) measure the usability of the Rise Services and the effectiveness of our communications; and (5) otherwise manage and enhance our services, and help ensure they are working properly.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of the Rise Services. For mobile devices, you can manage how your device and browser share certain device data by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device. The Rise Services are not designed to respond to “do not track” signals from browsers.
How We Use The Information We Obtain
When you apply to a Rise opportunity, we will seek your consent to process your personal information. If you nominate someone for membership in the Rise Program through our Referral Program, you are responsible for informing the nominee.
We use the personal information we obtain with your consent for the following purposes:
- manage the relationship we have with you;
- establish and manage your Rise account, and identify and authenticate you so you can explore our services and opportunities;
- process certain types of sensitive information (e.g. information necessary to administer diversity and wellness activities);
- manage and inform the Rise program selection process;
- administer scholarships, awards, career support, housing and funding services we offer to Rise fellows;
- operate and maintain the Rise Services;
- manage our ongoing relationship with Rise members, alumni and other strategic partners (e.g. teachers and service organizations);
- track Rise members’ educational and career progress, achievements, and community engagement;
- facilitate wellness services for Rise fellows and support
- Rise fellows from diverse backgrounds;
- administer participation in surveys, contests, or other Rise-related programs;
- manage our Referral Program, including processing rewards for successful nominations;
- communicate with you and respond to your inquiries;
- protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities;
- operate, evaluate and improve the Rise Program (including managing the Rise Program and Rise Services, developing new programs and services; --
- enhancing and improving our programs and services;
- managing our communications;
- analyzing our program and services;
- performing data analytics; and -
- performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions);
- maintain and enhance the safety and security of the Rise Program, including the Rise Services, and prevent misuse; and
- comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, industry standards, and our policies and terms.
Where required by applicable law, we also will obtain your consent to send you marketing communications, invite you to events and surveys, or personalize your experience with the Rise Program, including the Rise Services.
Where parental consent is required by applicable law to process your personal information, we will seek the consent of your parent or guardian.
We do not solely use automated means in our selection process or make other decisions that may produce legal effect or similarly significantly affect you. All finalists and winners are selected by a review committee following a combination of evaluations that require human input.
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection, and obtain consent to the extent required by law.
We may use third-party analytics services on the Rise Services, such as Google Analytics. The information we obtain through the Rise Services may be disclosed to or collected directly by these services. To learn more about Google Analytics, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/
On the Rise Services, we obtain information about your online activities to provide you with advertising about programs or services tailored to your interests. This section of our Privacy Notice provides details and explains how you can exercise your choices.
To learn how to opt out of interest-based advertising in the U.S., please visit www.aboutads.info/choices
, and http://preferences-mgr.truste.com/
. In the European Union, please visit www.youronlinechoices.eu
. To the extent required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent before using your information for interest-based advertising.
Your Rights and Choices
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we collect from you. To update your preferences, limit the communications you receive from us, or submit a request, please contact us as indicated in the “How To Contact Us” section of this Privacy Notice. You can unsubscribe from our marketing mailing lists by following the “Unsubscribe” link in our emails or contacting us as specified in the “How To Contact Us” section below. We will apply your preferences going forward.
To the extent provided by applicable law, you may (1) have the right to access the personal information we maintain about you; (2) request that we rectify personal information about you that is inaccurate; (3) request that we erase personal information about you; (4) have the right to restrict our processing of your personal information; (5) object at any time to the processing of your personal information on grounds relating to your particular situation and, in any event, to the processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes; (6) have the right to withdraw your consent to any processing of your personal information that is based on your consent; and (7) in certain circumstances, request that we provide you with a copy of your personal information in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format.
To exercise any of these rights, please contact us as indicated in the “How To Contact Us” section below. If you are located in the EEA, you also may lodge a complaint with the data protection authority in your country of residence.
We may transfer the personal information we collect about you to recipients in countries other than the country in which the information originally was collected. Those countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information. When we transfer your information to recipients in other countries, we will protect that information as described in this Privacy Notice and will comply with applicable legal requirements providing adequate protection for the transfer of personal information to recipients in countries other than the one in which you provided the information.
If your personal information is collected from you in the EEA, UK or Switzerland and we subsequently transfer it outside of the EEA, UK or Switzerland to a country that has not been recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection, the safeguards on which we rely to transfer such information include appropriate contractual terms with the recipients. Further information about our data transfer safeguards may be obtained by contacting us as indicated in the “How To Contact Us” section below.
Retention of Personal Information
To the extent required by applicable law, we will retain your personal information for the duration of our relationship, plus a reasonable period to comply with the applicable statute of limitation periods and records retention requirements under applicable law.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
The Rise Services are intended for a general audience. We do not knowingly collect personal information online from children under the age of 13.
Other Online Services and Third-Party Features
For your convenience and information, the Rise Services may provide links to other online services, and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins. These online services and third-party features may operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, is subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked online services or third-party features are not owned or controlled by Rise, we are not responsible for these third parties’ information practices.
Updates to Our Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and to reflect changes in our personal information practices. We will post a notice on the Rise Services to notify you of significant changes to our Privacy Notice and indicate at the top of the Privacy Notice when it was most recently updated.